Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A gold medal for frustration

It's finally Bocuse D'or time. The competition is going on as I write this. Well, the first day is actually over because they're nine hours ahead of the West Coast in Lyon.

I've been following the story of the Canadian team (led by the fabulous David Wong) since last May. So I have a bit of a vested interested in what happens.

Like any half decent worldwide event, there's live streaming footage via the Bocuse D'or website (check it out at http://www.bocusedor.com/2009/en/index.php). I watched some of it before I left for work...at 5:30 am. I just managed to catch the Brazilian team putting up their meat dish for the judges. Gorgeous. But I have to say -- appearance wise it doesn't hold a candle to what David's team is producing. I know. I've seen it. And tasted it. The Canadian team is producing food that is everything you want it to be.

I digress. So I get to work and go back to the website, hoping to watch some other highlights of the day. And the live feed isn't working. I try another computer. Still not working.

Thinking it's just some stupid glitch with the CBC firewall, I contact the resident multimedia dude Charlie. We try different surfers. No luck. In his opinion it's something wrong with the Bocuse site.

Le frustration! What the hell? This is like hosting the Olympics and not letting anyone see it!

Even more surprising...with all the world media covering this event, there is surprisingly little coverage online. And I'm no Google neophyte. Most of the coverage is in Portuguese courtesy of the Brazilian press. Even the bloggers that are there aren't providing a ton of insight. If it were me, I'd be walking around with a laptop in a modified Baby Bjorn posting pics and text as fast as was humanly possible.

I can see why the Bocuse D'or hasn't really hit North America yet. Their overall campaign to get out to the public seems to have failed, whatever that campaign consisted of. I could see people posting comments on some of the blogs I'd read asking if one could watch it online. Perhaps they were too lazy to simply go to the Bocuse D'or website for themselves. Or perhaps they tried and were thwarted like I was. Either way, no one seems to be watching except for the people who are there.

For the love of god, webmaster, whoever, let me in!

For anyone reading this, David Wong and team Canada are competing tomorrow at 10 am (that's local time in Lyon, 1 am Pacific time) and they should be delivering their first platter to the judges five hours later. If the live feed is up and running I'm going to be watching. They'll be announcing the winners at 6 pm local time/9 am Pacific time. If I can actually get access, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

No comments: